Wednesday, April 6, 2011

a challenge.


I've set myself a goal. Thanks to Kristin, I am feeling motivated to get serious about running. I haven't  run consistently since I was training for a 10K in October of 2009. Then I found out I was pregnant. In fact, little embryo Meredith ran that race with me.

I love running, but I am not good at it. It never feels easy and I am never fast. But I feel good about myself when I run regularly. So I'm going to give it a go. My goal is to run a half marathon in October (and at least one 5k and 10k before that). I am also going to work my way through Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred.

Everyone sets goals at the start of the year to get in shape, but here in New England it is difficult to get out and be active. This winter, in particular, when the sidewalks were literally not wide enough for my jogging stroller, I just didn't make it happen. So now that Spring is starting to show it's beautiful face, I am going to get committed to staying fit. This morning I did my first jog. It was only about a mile and a half and it seriously kicked my butt, but I did it!

8 comments:

Adrienne said...

And it wasn't very warm either - way to go!!

basebell6 said...

good luck!! you can do it!

Kate (This Place is Now a Home) said...

You go girl! I am also trying to convince myself to get back on the running bandwagon. I prefer LOTS of other exercise, so running is kind of a last resort for me, but it's the one thing I wish I could do a lot better. So I'm going to try.

Once it gets warmer. And after I move :)

Angela Power said...

It's such a perfect time of year to start!

I think the most common feeling about running is everyone's love/hate relationship with it. I think the beauty of it is that you really don't have to compare yourself to all the other "runners" and instead you can focus on your own personal goals. I'm sloooooow, like I'd call it "walking with a bounce"! lol

Kristin W said...

Um...I can not even tell you how excited I am! I think we're in the same boat with running...I'm slow and when I started back a couple weeks ago, a mile was a struggle.

I think it'll still take me a bit to work up the the beginning 3-miler on the plan...but I'm at 2 miles (and it's TOUGH!) Yay! We got this though!

I'll get you added to the Twitter shredcrew list!

Em Levy {orange + barrel} said...

Oh I need to do this too! I live in a crazy active city and I still sit on the couch way too often!!!

I can't wait to see how it goes!

Sasha said...

I had been putting off going outside in the cold drizzle to run, and was looking at friends' blogs instead, and then I got to yours....! Now writing post-run and though it was slow and uninspiring, I'm so glad I went (or maybe glad that it is over?). Thanks for your post.

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

Good for you, goal setting is the way to go, that's how I stick to exercise!
Enjoying your blog. :)

Post a Comment