Thursday, January 14, 2010

Pregnancy: A Kindergarten Perspective

Teaching Kindergarteners while pregnant is both a joy and a lesson in thick skin. The children's favorite thing to ask me currently is, "When are you going to get fat? (emphasis theirs)"

This week my stomach is really beginning to grow (nothing huge, but no longer flat!). This morning several of them remarked right away about how much my tummy is growing. I'm glad that I'm glad it's growing because otherwise I might be self-conscious or hurt. What they really like to tell me is that they wish I was having anywhere between 5 and 100,000 babies so my stomach would fill the entire school. I kid you not. They say that to me almost daily.

I suppose because my tummy was more noticeable today, they all converged around my belly trying to listen to it. They are really fascinated with listening to my stomach, regardless of how many times I tell them there's nothing to hear. The baby is too small and anyway, can you ever hear anything? I'm guessing not. I did play the baby's heartbeat for them, which they loved.

My favorite comment came from one of my wild cuties today. We were talking about growing bellies and he said to me, "Oh, gosh, I'm so glad I'm a boy. I would not want a baby coming out of my stomach!"

No comments:

Post a Comment