Friday, December 19, 2008

Vacation & Snow

I am officially on Christmas break. No school until January 5th. It hasn't quite sunk in, yet, but I'm excited. I am also officially snow in. Good way to start the break- forced to stay inside and catch up on sleep. Though, I'm also desperately needing to catch up on laundry and finishing Christmas shopping. I guess there's no point in worrying about it now, because there is nothing I can do about it now.

So, today was the last day before break, which for a teacher typically means lots of gifts and cards. My class was very sweet and I got some very sweet gifts. For me, it also means my birthday is coming. And before I even say this, I know its embarrassing and stupid that I care. But, at my school, we each have a birthday buddy. Its our job to get a card, a cake, flowers, etc for our birthday buddy. I kept expecting all week for it to be my celebration day, assuming my buddy wouldn't want to wait until Friday with all the craziness. Of course, this never came and I was trying not to be disappointed as I waited until Friday.

So, Friday comes and no birthday celebration for me. I know its silly, but it really, really hurt my feelings. I know that I don't always come across all warm and fuzzy. Maybe I even come across like I wouldn't care about a silly birthday celebration, but I do. I think as a teacher, and probably in any profession, you wonder if you are doing a good job, if peope appreciate you or care about the work you are doing. As a teacher, there isn't much thanks or recognition, which is fine. I was just looking forward to a little encouragement from my co-workers and it didn't come. My birthday buddy probably just forgot because this week is such a crazy week and I know I shouldn't take it personally, but its really hard not to.

So, with the kids it was a good day and I'm trying to focus on that. I was just sad because I felt a little forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment