Sunday, February 1, 2009

Black bean and rice stoup


A friend suggested I share recipes on here.
My first recipe will be my favorite of the season. Actually the first time I made this was for the aforementioned friend. I cannot take credit for the recipe itself, but I can say it is delicious and warm and provides plenty of leftovers!

Black bean and Rice stoup
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 bacon slices, chopped
1 bay leaf
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup frozen corn kernels
2 (15 oz) cans black beans
1 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. cumin
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
1 (15 oz) can stewed tomatoes
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 quart chicken stock
1 cup white rice

Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until fat renders. Add celery, onion, garlic and bay leaf, and cook for a few minutes more. Add the corn and 1 can black beans, undrained. Drain the other can and add half of the beans. Mash the other half with a fork and add to the soup pot. Season with chili powder, cumin, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce and stock, and bring to a boil. Add rice, cover and simmer until rice is done, about 15 minutes.

*Suggestion: don't over cook the rice, or it becomes to thick to enjoy as soup. You almost want it just short of cooked. I also add a little extra bacon because I live with a meat-lover.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment