Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Chana Masala

Ever since I was first introduced to Indian food in late high school/early college I have loved chana masala. While I've started experimenting with making Indian food over the last few months, I had yet to try chana masala, mostly because my husband is a meat-tarian. He has trouble eating a meat-free meal. But he is a good sport about it every once in a while, so we gave it a try last night.

IMG_8387
IMG_8388

I followed Smitten Kitchen's recipe, which you can find here.  I have to admit I was really impressed with myself using so many spices for one meal. Chris even asked if I had used a sauce base. I was pretty proud to say I had totally made it from scratch. My only complaint is that the flavors weren't as rich as I might've expected from so many spices. Next time I will try making this in my crock pot (without the added water).  I think this will allow the chickpeas to better soak up the flavors.

IMG_8392

I served the chickpeas over jasmine rice with garlic (store bought) naan. I buttered the naan and warmed it on a pan. It was basically heaven on a plate.

Are you an Indian food lover? Let me know if you try it!


Click To Vote For Us @ Top Baby Blogs Directory!

4 comments:

Kristin W said...

Yum! I LOVE making Indian dishes but don't make them near enough. I may try making it using Paneer (a cheese used in Indian cooking often).

Kate (This Place is Now a Home) said...

Whoa, that looks AWESOME!!! I love Indian food, although I've only tried making it a few times at home. Chicken Tikka Masala is another great one to try at home if you have all of those Indian spices!

Jodi Ann said...

That looks amazing! I'm so intimidated by Indian recipes...well cooking in general...but I think this Fall I'm going to branch out and try new recipes like this. My husband is the same way about meat...but it never hurts to try something new right? :)

the southern hostess said...

Indian food is one of my favorites. It's so flavorful and comforting. This sounds/looks perfect!

Post a Comment