Monday, January 12, 2009

politics



So, I teach at a christian school and while most of the time i would say it is a really great experience, there are times when i am confronted with very close-minded ideas. This morning at devotions (we start our mornings praying together), one of the teachers mentioned getting the children together next Tuesday to watch the inauguration. I'm thinking, awesome idea- hadn't thought of that. One of my coworkers is looking on dumbfounded. She asks, "Wait, I'm confused, what are we talking about?" We all respond, the inauguration, next week, etc. She remains confused, thinking the Presidential inauguration is aired at night. Once she realizes what we are talking about, she replies, "Oh, the Presidential inauguration!? I want to see nothing that has anything to do with that. I am having a very hard time with this whole thing."

My blood was literally boiling, as was hers apparently. I was really upset by how close minded she was being. I understand that the majority of conservative Christians vote Republican, and in the past I have too. But, to be so disgusted by another human being and his election to high office seems un-Christian. Has she forgotten how powerful our God is? God could have either prevented Obama from being elected or he will continue to work through the office in spite of, or because of Obama.

The Bible says, in Romans 13, "Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God." I could admittedly be taking this out of context, though that is not my intention. I understand this verse to say that God has established our governing authorities and apparently Barack Obama is this country's, in this time.

I, personally, am very excited about President-elect Obama. I hope that He will help to further the gospel is ways Republicans don't- in bringing about peace, seeking care for those less fortunate. I don't want to be judgmental of this woman that I work with. It just makes me sad to see people who are so convinced of their way of thinking that they can't possibly see that another way could be right. Sure, Republicans are pro-life, but do we really think God wants the nations waging war?

Clearly, as you've figured out from this post, I know very little about politics. All I've learned from this past election is that God is bigger than all of this, that both sides have pieces I can agree with and that I don't want to be close-minded.


No comments:

Post a Comment