Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Totally Awkward.

Today, over here, its totally awkward Tuesday. Because today is a sad day (my parents moved away), i am choosing to think of something else, something awkward, something from way back in freshman year of high school.

I was taking a child psychology class as a freshman, with a bunch of seniors. That in itself made me awkward, but don't worry it gets worse. One of our assignments was reading a children's book to the class. I suppose this was to perfect reading aloud to young minds (which clearly I have since mastered!). I cleverly selected a Sesame Street book.

So, as I read along about Oscar, Big Bird and probably Snuffleupagus, I did a darn good job. I'm sure I was bright red, as I was inredibly shy and slightly mortified to be sitting in front of a class of high school seniors, but I trudged through and did a fantastic job, until the very last line of the story.

If you've ever seen Sesame Street, you might be able to take a gander at what that last line was. It read: Can you tell me how to get to Sesame Street? All I had to do was read those final ten words, but what did I do? I SANG those last 10 words. SANG THEM. In front of a large class of high school seniors. Did they laugh to ease the tension? Did they smile because I was simply a cute little freshman? NO, they just stared in bemused confusion at me, the awkward wonder. I was mortified.

I still don't know why I did that. It was completely out of character for me to sing. I do know it was not out of character for me to be awkward.

7 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh dear. That IS totally awkward. But it makes for one great post. ;)

Ebony said...

LOL. That's too funny. I hope you were at least in key!

Winna said...

Funny because as I was reading I sang the words too (but in my head, not out loud). Obviously, I can definately understand why you would have sang the words! Cute story though!

Judi said...

This post is hilarious. Well-told. Thank you so much for sharing it. Not only did I, like Winna, sing the words in my head, I can totally understand how you found yourself doing that. (I can imagine myself doing the same thing and later wondering what the hell came over me.)

Diane J. said...

How can you not sing those 10 words? =) Thanks for the laugh, that was good.

Raine said...

Agreed - they must be sung!! Now, Im gonna have it stuck in my head all day! :D

tall coffee, room for cream said...

I literally laughed out loud reading this story because it is def something I would do! :)

Post a Comment