Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Back to normal, but a new normal.

Pregnancy gave me an excuse to eat. And while I wouldn't say I ate a lot of extra food, I would say I ate a lot of crappy food. Like oreos, peanut butter by the spoonful, anything chocolate and there wasn't a dessert I'd say no to. And then, breastfeeding gave me an appetite like you wouldn't believe, so I continued eating lots of crappy food- probably even more! But that increased appetite has long since gone. So a few weeks ago I decided it was time to get serious about getting back in shape. Chris and I started the South Beach Diet (misery) and have had great results already (yay).

I am now down to my pre-pregnancy weight, and actually a little under. I am very encouraged. It almost makes it worth ending the oreo binges. My body, however, is not back to pre-pregnancy. Everyone tells you it will never be the same, but its hard to quite imagine until its happened. And it has! My stomach is a bit squisher (not that I ever had washboard abs), there are stretch marks that surely weren't there before and even my linea nigra (do not google this. yuck. its a line on your belly, starting at your belly button) is still hanging out.

So while my body is different, the cause of this change- my little baby Meredith- is oh, so worth it. And even though I'm not as toned, I feel proud of how my body is readjusting. The whole pregnancy & postpartum experience continues to amaze me.

1 comment:

clare @ the pretty walrus said...

Been dying to hear a proper blog update from you :) Glad you're doing so well!

With me desserts, chocolate, even Oreos all made me feel sick! It's only now I'm starting to enjoy sweet things again but chocolate is still out! It's mostly sweet fruit I need! It's so crazy the way everyone reacts differently! xx

Post a Comment