Wednesday, February 23, 2011

mom & sis



For the last year and a half, I've lived away from my mom. And unlike most situations (I would imagine) I'm not the one that moved away. All my life I've lived with or very near my parents. And then, in the summer of 2009, they moved far away to Texas. There are lots of things I hate about that. LOTS.

Last week, my hormones were a-ragin' and just about everything was making me cry. One simple statement from a friend that she had gone by her mom's house to pick up leftovers was enough to sink me into an afternoon depression. I wish my mom was close to enough to share leftovers with!


 And then this weekend as I was out on my own shopping I was missing my mom and sister again. As I drove towards the mall my mom was texting me pictures of shoes she was trying on. As I roamed my own mall hundreds of miles away, I was wishing for the guidance of my mom and sister. They would not have let me leave that mall empty handed.


As silly as it sounds, that is one of the things I miss the most. Girls to go shopping with. Girls with good taste who will tell me honestly what looks cute and what doesn't.  For example, my mom and sister would never have left me leave the house in this outfit, even if I was just a few weeks post-partum.



In a few weeks I get to go visit my parents and sister. I will enjoy the company. I will enjoy lazing on the couch. I will enjoy a homecooked meal made my someone else. I will enjoy the warmer weather. I will enjoy the slow pace of a small town. And hopefully, I will enjoy some shopping.

9 comments:

jenny said...

oh I know what you MEAN!!! I would just about croak without my mom! I love that you shared that and love her so much!

Mary Nevin said...

what a wonderful entry!! I adore my mom so very much and this made me all the more grateful for her!! hope you have a great wednesday!! :)

basebell6 said...

awh, i miss my sister too! but am lucky my mom is close. there is something wrong with that outift??

Lauren Chappell said...

maybe it's because i'm hormonal & away from my mom at the moment, but this post totally made me cry. it's funny how being away from mom's gives you such an appreciation for how much they add to your lives.

btw- i'm not sure if i've told you or not, but i really really LOVE your blog! it's so fun and relatable (even if i don't have a husband and a baby ha!) i look forward to reading it :)

Kristin {Sea Cow Circus} said...

I love this post. And I'm in a similar boat - both my sister and my mom live 1,000 miles away. I hate it. Sending you hugs and hoping for lots of shopping time when you're visiting them! :)

Ashley {hudson's happenings} said...

AWWW! Moms are the best! Love this post & your super cute blog!

Kristin W said...

Well... 1) it's hard to believe Meredith was that small! Such a sweet memory. 2) I can relate...it's hard for me to imagine life with kids and being far away from grandparents to help out. 3) On the flip side, as Meredith gets older and gets to spend her summers with grandparents, that builds special and lasting memories for her. At least you do have the ability to go visit. I hope that trip gives you the boost you need!

grace @ Arms Wide Open said...

yes and yes. i understand how you feel. it is hard.... nothing to say to make it better! but, for me, it has gotten easier with time.

Home For Short said...

Totally understandable. I'll shop with you anytime!

Post a Comment