Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Family.


This past weekend I traveled south to visit family and attend my cousin's wedding in Shreveport, Louisiana. It was an amazing trip. I haven't been down there in about 12 years. I have "kept in touch" with some of my cousins through facebook and saw several of my family members at my own wedding and during one of their trips here last summer. Being down there, though, was great. I got to see where my mom grew up and, being older, appreciate it more. I had the chance to talk with aunts, uncles, cousins, and even my siblings :)

I think what I walked away feeling the most was gratitude. Clearly, as suggested by a twelve year hiatus, being close to extended family hasn't been a priority. I love them from a distance and want them to do well, but we aren't connected on an intimate level. Being there, I felt so grateful for people that, no matter how physically distant, are still your family. I haven't spoken to some of my family members ever as an adult and in over a decade in general. Yet I felt such a bond with them which is inexplicable except that we are family. I hope that my next trip down there is much sooner than twelve years. I want my husband and my children to be able to appreciate the wonderful cousins, aunts and uncles that I have down there.

**Pictures: the first picture is the house my mom grew up in; the second picture is the entire baker clan at my cousin's wedding; the last picture is of my mom, sister, brother and me.

1 comment:

David "daddy" Mcanulty said...

I think Dad is not in the picture cause he's the only one who doesn't look like a model!!! Great story and great picture... dad

Post a Comment