Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Birthday, Daddy!



Happy Birthday, Daddy! I want to take a moment to wish my dad a happy birthday by sharing two things. One thing I love about him & one thing I am grateful for.

First, my dad is a wonderful man. He is intelligent and confident. He holds strong beliefs and has helped shape me and my siblings into thinkers. He never thinks he has "figured it all out" but continually seeks to learn more, particularly about God. He is confident in himself and his beliefs which has always been a great example for me. He is not overly concerned about other's opinions of him. One thing my dad always does is sing. He sings wherever he goes. As a little girl I was sometimes embarrassed by my dad singing as we grocery shopped (or went anywhere). Now, though, I can see that him doing this taught me to be secure in myself and to not care so much about what others think. I appreciate who he is and how that has made me into me.

Second, I am grateful for all the ways he makes me feel special and important, particularly breakfast time with him. When I was still in elementary school my dad started taking me to breakfast once a week before school. It was always just me and him and I got to pick the place. I looked forward to those mornings and loved having special time with him. My dad gave me his full attention and helped me to feel valued. These times allowed us to build a great friendship. We did this through high school, and still met for meals during college. While our schedules don't allow breakfast as much now, my dad continues to find ways to make me feel special in simple hugs when I arrive and leave his house, in pursuing a friendship with my husband and in spending time time with Chris, me and my mom.

So, Daddy, I'm glad you were born and that God blessed me with you as a father. Happy Birthday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment