Wednesday, March 2, 2011

deepest gratitude

After nursing cuddles are my fav

February was a hard month. It felt like the longest month even though, in fact, it's the shortest. but then, a blessing came on the last day.  It was nothing in particular, but instead lots of little things that made me feel so grateful for the incredible blessing it is to get to be home with Meredith.

The day started with swim class. This is always one of the highlights of my week. I get to see my girl in her cute little swimsuit splashing around like a fishy. Meredith's nana came to watch the class and, let's be honest, I love an opportunity to show her off :) I also got to see one of my best friends and her baby who are in the class with us.

After class, we hurried home so Meredith could nap. She took a nap for an hour, which was so nice. I got to shower, wash, dry & fold several loads of laundry and watch the View. Once Meredith woke up her nana came over for lunch. It was so refreshing to have company and to watch nana delight in my baby. Not long after nana left, Meredith was ready for another nap. After fighting it for a while, she gave in a slept for just over an hour. During this time, I was able to take a nap myself. I woke up feeling warm and rested.

I hurried around changing over laundry, tidying up toys, heating up hot chocolate and grabbing some cookies all before Oprah at the Oscars started. I then settled down to start the show. Quickly after I heard my baby squeaking to tell me she was up. We returned to my bedroom so she could nurse and I could continue my show. As I nursed her and she ate contentedly, I felt overcome with gratitude. Gratitude for good-nap-days, gratitude for days of productivity, gratitude for getting to enjoy the simple pleasure of television, gratitude for being a stay-at-home mom and gratitude for my precious baby girl. Reading over my day, it might not sound like anything special (probably really boring) and I guess it really wasn't (and kind of was) but sometimes that's all it takes. A few good things to remind me that my life really is great, even if sometimes short months feel long and a little crappy.

3 comments:

Kate (This Place is Now a Home) said...

That sounds like a LOVELY day. Happy March :)

E said...

I had a day teaching this week where I wanted to leave school and never come back. Seriously, if I didn't have so much crap in my room, I think I might have gone MIA.

I've been thinking more and more about what my plan is for next year--and this post is just fodder for that. Not to say you make it sound easy or simple (or boring, for that matter)...you do a wonderful job of just being honest about it (without scaring a girl to death).

Grace @ Arms Wide Open said...

ah, it's the simple things. i can definitely relate. love this!

Post a Comment