Monday, March 28, 2011

This weekend.

Tumblr_licg2shsii1qhg3h9o1_500_large
This weekend was a rollercoaster of emotions and events. I had what was probably my scariest mom moment so far. Meredith loves food. If one of us is eating, she has to partake in our meal. Saturday morning I made myself toast and eggs. I decided to give her a little nibble of my egg white, even though I knew it was one of those high risk allergy foods. She loved it, of course, but a few minutes later she started rubbing her eye. Right away her eye got red and puffy with some tiny little bumps. We gave her a bit of Benedryl and wiped her eye with a warm washcloth. This puffiness has happened before  (she has very sensitive, eczema-ridden skin) and always goes away quickly. And, as in the past, it cleared up very soon.

I laid her down for a nap soon after this. An hour later, she woke and I was nursing her when I noticed redness on her face, neck and chest. As I opened up her PJs, I quickly saw she was covered in big, red hives. Chris had left at this point and I went into freak out mode. I called the pediatrician who told me to give her more Benedryl and watch her carefully for vomiting or difficulty breathing.

IMG_5156

IMG_5154

The two of us were a hot mess- her skin getting redder and puffier by the minute and me unable to stop the tears from streaming down my face. I kept hugging her so tight, feeling so guilty for giving her a bite of egg. It took about two hours, but finally the hives subsided and she woke up with clear skin today. 

Throughout the weekend I was just, in general, in a bad mood. Meredith has been sleeping poorly because she has a bad cold on top of the hives. We had dinner guests Friday & Saturday night, which was super fun. Having people over for dinner is one of my favorite things, but it means extra work and later nights than usual. With a baby that still doesn't sleep through the night, that makes for a very tired mama. Because of this, I have been so irritable. People's twitter posts and facebook statuses and my husband just looking at me have all made me irrationally annoyed.

So, realizing I was in a bad way, I forced my butt out the door Sunday morning. I took Meredith on a walk around a local pond and listened to a podcast my the preacher at my parents' church. The fresh air and spiritual messages really helped me feel better.

IMG_5170

IMG_5168

IMG_5165

Shopping afterward didn't hurt either.



Now that it's Sunday night and I got to enjoy a date night with the hubs, I am finally feeling a bit better. Hopefully it'll last the week.  How about you? Was your weekend what you hoped it would be?

2 comments:

basebell6 said...

poor baby!! hope she's all over the hives and her cold and that you got some rest! i totally can relate; this has been a tough winter with sicknesses and very little sleep :(

Angela Power said...

OMG I would have FLIPPED! Poor thing! Poor Mama!! Does that mean that you have to avoid eggs for a certain period of time? I have baby benedryl on my shopping list - can't believe I don't have any on hand!

I understand first hand what chronic interrupted sleep can do to a person's morale - it sucks big time :-(

Post a Comment