Thursday, December 22, 2011

Hopes for 2012: Orange and Barrel

Today Em from Orange and Barrel is guest posting and sharing her hopes for 2012. I have known Emerson since high school in Atlanta, but we really became friends through blogging. I love her blog and have especially loved reading about her recent wedding. So without further ado, here's Em!

***

First, I want to thank Claire for allowing me to guest post. I was thinking about how long I have known Claire and I was thinking it had to be about ten years and then I realized it was probably longer and now I feel old.

What did I learn this year? I was thinking about this question on my drive home. I live in Santa Barbara but I work at the very edge of Los Angeles County, for anyone familiar with Southern California there is an entire county between those locations -- but the upside is lots of time to think in my car.

In 2011, both my parents battled cancer. Seriously, both. How does that even happen?

In 2011, I took the California Bar, twice, and didn't pass either time. Seriously, both. How does that even happen?

I am not one to pass out wisdom, I am too young and inexperienced for all that jazz, but I did learn in 2011 that good things can come from unexpected places. My family grew closer as a result of the cancer(s) and not passing the bar(s) lead to some serious conversations about turning the boat around with my then boyfriend, turned fiance, turned husband all within a little over three months.

In 2011, I got married.


In a quiet and intimate ceremony at San Francisco City Hall. It was beautiful. When I look back on it (we have been married for five weeks) I still get goosebumps. The following weekend we threw a big fairly traditional, gray and yellow clad, reception in Topanga Hills (always makes me think of Boy Meets World) a little area tucked away in Los Angeles.


I got to have my (cup)cake and eat it too. We had a quiet ceremony and a beautiful party. Seriously both. How does that even happen?


I am rounding out 2011 with a job at a new firm and newlywed bliss, all things that came out of some-not-good-moments.

So 2012? I am taking a lesson from 2011, plan for the worst, expect the best, stay flexible, be open to opportunities, work hard, and whenever something awful happens (and it will) handle it with as much grace as possible.

And I am going to work out.

No, I am going to eat more cupcakes.

Happy Holidays and a very Happy 2011 to you and yours.

***

Now go check out her blog!

2 comments:

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

thanks for the blog introduction, great post!

Jodi Ann said...

What an amazing wedding...totally perfect! :) I can't wait to check out your blog.

Post a Comment